Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Starting New Shawl project

Well, after a couple of months doing many other things, it is back to weaving time.  For now, I am working on a second Osberg style shawl, this time in the more appealing colors of rust and burnt orange for the warp and the addition of red and gold silk with the weft.

I have huge amounts of the burnt orange, and only a small amount of the rust, so I am using the rust every few rows for a small stripe, that turns the pattern into a light plaid effect. 

Because my loom is a narrow four harness, I needed to use double weave in order to make a wide shawl.  This also meant using a plain weave pattern and a low thread count, with the heavy rug yarn.  The photo shows the wide gaps between the treads, those will close up when I wash and slightly felt the shawl/blanket but it will still be a pretty open weave.

I really like how the silk perks up the pattern, you can't really see it in photos, but in real life it catches the light well.

Here is a photo of the work in progress.  More to follow....from
The Cat Who Plays With String...

No comments:

Post a Comment